See also the section: Periodicals
The Library provides access to periodicals in print and electronic formats. Many of the titles are in print only. However, an expanding number are now available electronically. Journals by Title A-Z list can be used to search titles that are available electronically through the Ryerson Library. Most of these databases are restricted to Ryerson students, staff and faculty. To browse a list of relevant journals try out Sexual Diversity Periodicals page.
The following are some of the databases useful for research in Sexual Diversity Studies:
LGBT Life (formerly GLBT Life) includes over 50,000 records selected from Sexual Diversity Studies. Indexing and abstracts for more than 80 core periodicals. Includes full text for 50 of the most important and historically significant gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender journals, magazines and regional newspapers, a including The Advocate, Gay Parent Magazine, Girlfriends, GLQ: A Journal of Lesbian & Gay Studies, James White Review, ISNA News, Ladder, Lesbian Tide, New York Blade, ONE, TANGENTS, Washington Blade, and many more.
Sociological Abstracts (Sociofile)
Produced by Sociological Abstracts, Inc., the database contains abstracts from 2,600 journals published since 1974 and enhanced bibliographic citations for dissertations added since 1986. Titles include: Gender and Society, Gender and Education, Gender Issues, Gender Place and Culture, International Journal of Sexuality and Gender Studies, Sex Roles, Womens History Review, Women’s Studies International Forum, Women’s Studies: An International Journal.
Academic Press via scholarsportal.info
Provides access to the full text of over 2,100 journals. See for example: AIDS and Behavior, Archives of Sexual Behavior, International Journal of Sexuality and Gender Studies, Journal of the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association, Journal of Vocational Behavior, Sex Roles, Women’s Studies International Forum.
Academic Search Premier
Contains citations and selected full text of journal articles from several subject areas: business, social sciences, humanities, science and education. SDS titles include: The Advocate (1995-present, fulltext 1996-present), Differences (1996-present), The Journal of Gay and Lesbian Psychotherapy (1998-present), The Journal of Gender Studies (fulltext 1991-present), The Journal of Homosexuality (1993-present), The Journal of Sex Research (fulltext 1990-present), The Lesbian News (1995-present; fulltext 1996-present), Signs (1990-present).
Alternative Press Index (AltPressIndex)
Since 1991, this quarterly subject index includes several important gay and lesbian journals including the Advocate, GLQ, Gay & Lesbian Review Worldwide, Journal of Homosexuality, Off Our Backs, The Women’s Review of Book. The paper version (1969-1997) indexed important titles like The Body Politic, the Harvard Gay and Lesbian Review, and the Lambda Book Report.
Contains citations from 400 Canadian journals (1988 – present) and provides full-text from 150 (1995-present).
Defining Gender (1450-1910)
Adam Matthew brings together approximately 50,000 images of original documents relating to Gender Studies.
Elsevier via scholarsportal.info
Provides access to the full-text of 1100 journals. See for example: Women’s Studies International Forum.
Citations from over 17,000 magazines and journals. Sexual diversity titles indexed and available at least in part include: The Advocate, The Australian Gay and Lesbian Law Journal, Connexions, Differences, Harvard Gay and Lesbian Review, Hot Wire, Hypatia, Journal of Gay and Lesbian Psychotherapy, Journal of Gay Lesbian and Bisexual Identity, The Journal of Homosexuality, Lambda Book Report, Lesbian Ethics, Out, Out/Look, Sinister Wisdom, Spare Rib, Trouble and Strife, and Visibilities.
LEXIS/NEXIS is a full-text, online database of newspapers, magazines and journals and gives access to international sources and North American content.
Proquest Research Library
Abstracts and selected full-text and graphics from over 1800 titles. Indexing to: 10 Percent (1993-95), The Advocate (1989-present), Differences (1991- present), Feminist Studies (1989-present), Frontiers (1992-present), Gay Community News (1991-present), Genders (1992-present), Journal of Gay and Lesbian Psychotherapy (1993-present), Journal of Homosexuality (1992-present), Lambda Book Report (1992-present; fulltext 1994-present), Out/Look (1988-1992), Sage (1990-present), SIECUS Reports (1991-present), Signs (1988-present).
- Alternative Press Index AI3 .A27 (Alternative Press Index is the leading guide to the alternative press in North America. Approximately 250 alternative, radical and left publications are indexed. Titles covered include: The Advocate, BLK, The Body Politic, Gay Community News, Lambda Book Report, Lesbian Contradiction, Out/Look, RFD, Rites.)
- Completely queer: the Gay and Lesbian encyclopedia HQ75 .H63 1998
- Dictionary of homophobia HQ76.4 .D5313 2008
- Encyclopedia of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender history in America online
- Gay and Lesbian Issues: Abstracts of the Psychological and Behavioral Literature, 1986-1996 HQ76.3.U5 Z9 1997
- Gay and lesbian issues : a reference handbook HQ76.25 .S748 2003
- Gay Canada : a bibliography and videography, 1984-2000 Z7164.H74 S64 2001
- Gay histories and cultures: an encyclopedia HQ75.13 .G37 2000
- Gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered literature : a genre guide Z1229.G25 B67 2008
- glbtq: an encyclopedia of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, & queer culture online
- Historical dictionary of the gay liberation movement HQ76.5 .H86 1999
- Images in the dark : an encyclopedia of gay and lesbian film and video PN1995.9.H55 M87 1994
- Lesbian histories and cultures: an encyclopedia HQ75.5 .L439 2000
- Lesbian and gay liberation in Canada: a selected annotated chronology, 1964-1975 HQ76.8.C3 M35 1996 and online
- Lesbian and Gay Liberation in Canada: a selected annotated chronology, 1976–1981 online
- Queer encyclopedia of the visual arts N72.H64 Q44 2004
- Who’s who in lesbian and gay writing PN451 .W545 2002