Government of Canada – Open Geo-Data – Geo-Data search mechanism for open datasets produced various sectors of the Government of Canada such as Natural Resources Canada, Environment Canada, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, and Statistics Canada. Use of these data is subject to the Open Government Licence – Canada
Natural Resources Canada
GeoGratis is a portal provided by the Earth Sciences Sector (ESS) of Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) which provides geospatial data such as satellite images, scanned topographic maps (National Topopgraphic System), the Atlas of Canada, Land Inventory and more… Geogratis now contains GeoBase – a federal, provincial and territorial government initiative that is overseen by the Canadian Council on Geomatics (CCOG). GeoBase supports the provision of, and access to, a common, up-to-date and maintained base of quality geospatial data for all of Canada.
The GeoGratis Product Index allows you visualize and download files via an online mapping application.
- Natural Resources Canada – Earth Sciences – NRCan’s fundamental earth science, geography and geospatial information. Provides access to data such as Satellite Imagery and Air Photos, Topographic Data and Earth Sciences Data.
- National Hydro Network (NHN) describes and models features of the inland surface-water system of Canada. 287 watersheds are available accounting for about 20% of the Canadian landmass.
- Canada’s National Forest Inventory (CanFI) Provides access to Canada’s National Forest Inventory information through services that have been developed in collaboration with the National Forest Information System
- Water Survey of Canada – Hydrometric Data – This website features stream discharge and water level data for Canada. It also allows you to access archived hydrometric data from HYDAT for stations of interest by specifying the search criteria such as the Station Name or Station Number.
- Canadian Wind Energy Atlas This site features colour maps representing the average wind velocity and power in Canada, procedures for generating different simulation maps, and a download section where data files are used to create custom simulations.
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Canadian Soil Information Service (CanSIS) Provides access to data such as the National Soil Database (NSDB) and Detailed Soil Surveys.
- Statistics Canada (2011, 2006, 2001) Cartographic and Digital Boundary files available for download – Formats include ESRI shapefile (.shp) and MapInfo TAB (.tab) – Public Access
- Health Region Boundary Files are available for free download in ArcView, MapInfo, and ArcInfo formats.
- Canadian Climate Normals & Averages 1981-2010 Climate normals or averages are used to summarize or describe the average climatic conditions of a particular location.
Ontario Provincial Government
- Ontario – Watershed flow assessment tool This tool is used to calculate information about Ontario’s watersheds, which are areas of land where surface water converges to a single point. You can use this tool to create maps of watersheds, characterize the watershed and estimate stream flows.