Ryerson Institute of Technology, c1950

ryehall48-300x233_watermarkedThis view, looking north-east, shows Ryerson Hall and one of the buildings erected in the early 1940s to accommodate wartime training at St. James Square. When Ryerson opened in 1948, these structures were used to house various programs offered by the Institute, including trades-related courses run mainly on behalf of the Provincial Department of Labour. They included, among others: barbering and hairdressing (as indicated on one of the signs in this photograph); welding (shown on the second sign); jewelry; horology; cosmetology; printing; woodworking; commercial cooking; tailoring; motor vehicle repair; and stationary engineering. By 1953, many of the trades courses were transferred to the new Provincial Institute of Trades while others evolved into recognized programs offered by Ryerson University today (examples are furniture crafts and costume design which became, respectively, the schools of Interior Design and Fashion). Ryerson’s early curriculum presented a novel approach to postsecondary technical education by shortening the period of learning from about six years under the old apprenticeship system to two. However, what came to distinguish Ryerson from other institutions in subsequent years, was the introduction of small but important components of management skills and liberal studies. (Doc. File: Ryerson Hall)