Grounds Plan: Ontario Education Department and Toronto Normal School

Plan of Normal School Grounds Showing Drainage

The Archives has recently placed on display, in its public area on the third floor of the Ryerson Library, an original grounds plan showing the layout of drains and sewers running under and from buildings of the Toronto Normal School, the site of present-day Ryerson University. Although undated, the plan is believed to have been created around 1900 for the provincial Department of Education, which not only oversaw the educational operations of the School but was housed in the main building of the facility until it moved to Queen’s Park in 1912.

The grounds plan was donated to the Archives by George Hume, retired director of Campus Planning and Construction.

The Normal School was founded by Egerton Ryerson in 1847 as the first teacher-training institution in the province. It moved into a new building in 1852, on a parcel of semi-rural land eventually bounded by Gerrard, Victoria, Gould and Church streets.

The Ryerson Archives maintains a siginificant and growing collection of records and information on the Normal School which is available for research and consultation.