Archives

Howard Kerr Hall under construction with Ryerson Hall (originally Toronto Normal School) in the Quad. Only the facade of Ryerson Hall remains standing today. In the middle distance is Eaton's College Street store, now College Park, [ca. 1962], RG 4-116, Folder 4 copyright Herb Nott & Co. Ltd.

Howard Kerr Hall under construction with Ryerson Hall (originally Toronto Normal School) in the Quad. Only the facade of Ryerson Hall remains standing today. In the middle distance is Eaton’s College Street store, now College Park, [ca. 1962], RG 4-116, Folder 4 copyright Herb Nott & Co. Ltd.

The Archives serves as the institutional memory of the Ryerson community by appraising, preserving, and providing access to a broad range of primary source materials. The collections housed in the Archives provide an administrative, academic, fiscal, legal, social, and cultural record of Ryerson University from its inception up to the present day.

Services & Facilities

  • Research assistance and support
  • Reading room
  • Computerized finding aids
  • Rotating Displays

Mandate

Founded in 1971 on a recommendation by the Smyth Commission on Ryerson Polytechnic University’s governance and organization, the Ryerson Archives mandate is to acquire, preserve and make available through a comprehensive archival collection, records essential to the understanding of the University’s purposes and operation or having other historical or archival value.

Within its mandate, the Ryerson Archives acts as a resource facility which documents the history of Ryerson University (1948 to the present) and its antecedent institutions at St. James Square, known as the cradle of education in the province of Ontario.

These institutions include primarily the Toronto Normal School (1852-1941), the R.C.A.F. No. 6 Initial Training Centre and Dominion-Provincial War Emergency Training Program (1941-1945) and the Toronto Training and Re-establishment Institute (1945-1948).

The Archives also maintains a collection of records and information on Egerton Ryerson (1803-1882), the University’s namesake and founder of Ontario’s educational system, at St. James Square.

Please note that unauthorized reproduction of images contained on the Ryerson University Archives Web site, without express written consent (archives@ryerson.ca), is strictly prohibited. If permission is granted, credit shall be given to the Ryerson University Archives in any case where material is reproduced. More information on copyright is available here

Information regarding donations to the Ryerson Archives can be found here